WaferStorm Wet Processing Platform
The WaferStorm platform is the industry choice for a number of critical solvent-based processes in the advanced packaging, MEMs, RF, Data Storage and Photonics markets. There are 2 versions- the Manual Load (ML) and 3300 series platforms. The ML system is well suited for R&D and pilot environments. The 3300-series platform is the high-volume work horse of the industry.
The 3300-series architecture is extremely flexible as the user can have up to 8 chambers per system depending on throughput requirements. In addition, the system is capable of handling multiple wafer sizes and wafer types with minimal hardware modification. Lastly, the process chambers can be stacked vertically leading to extremely low system footprint.
High Volume Platform – 3300 series
- 1 – 10 chamber modular system
- Low footprint- stacked chambers
- On board chemical supply
- Multiple wafer sizes- 50 to 300mm
- Multiple substrate types – Si, LiTaO3, Sapphire, Glass
Manual load platform for R&D – ML
- Single chamber- manual load
WaferStorm 3300 Series Platform Manual Load Platform
- Metal Lift-Off (MLO) is a critical process in the compound semiconductor and RF markets where metals cannot be easily etched without damaging the underlying substrates. The WaferStorm system with ImmJET technology is the market share leader for Metal Lift-Off globally. ImmJET technology is a combination of batch immersion and single wafer spray processing. The immersion step uses heated solvents with agitation. After being softened by the immersion, the wafers are transferred to the single-wafer spray station where they are exposed to high-pressure fan sprays with heated solvents for rapid removal of thick film residue. This combination ensures superior process performance while maintaining the lowest CoO versus wet bench and single wafer solutions.
Photoresist/Dry Film Strip
- The WaferStorm system with ImmJET technology delivers superior process performance and low cost of ownership for the customer for photoresist strip and dry film strip applications. Especially, when the resists are thick and difficult to remove, the combined immersion and high-pressure spray ensures material removal. In addition, proprietary filtration technology enables low downtime and high productivity.
- In advanced packaging, flux cleaning is critical to both wafer bumping and joint formation processes because it removes oxide layers and other impurities left by solder materials, to ensure a clean metallic interface for the next assembly step. A liquid fluxing agent is delivered to the bumped surface, and additional cleaning steps must be used to remove residues that are left behind. As bump pitches become finer, removing flux residues has become more challenging. Veeco’s proprietary soak-and-spray technology on the WaferStorm platform is especially suited for removal of flux residues from even the tightest spacing.
- Veeco PSP’s single and double-sided single wafer cleaning technology achieves high efficiency particle removal for many applications. Veeco’s patented double-sided PVA brush systems cleans top, bottom and side surfaces. Additional single-sided PVA brush scrubbing technologies are available along with High Velocity Spray (HVS) and Megasonics for the most effective cleaning results on all wafer sizes.
- TSV clean is a critical process step that is essential to reliability. The deep reactive ion etch (DRIE) process leaves behind a polymer residue that can lead to defects and voids in the barrier, seed, and fill steps that follow. The WaferStorm with ImmJET technology relies on the sequential combination of the immersion and high-pressure spray processes to remove residues in high-aspect-ratio holes that wet bench-only or spray-only tools leave behind.